4/23/20 – This report reviews 1,497 reports of coronavirus discrimination submitted on the Stop AAPI Hate from March 19–April 15, 2020.
The following patterns emerged over the course of one month:
- Stop AAPI Hate received 1,497 reports in its first four weeks.
- Incidents from California and New York constituted over 58% of all reports.
- Civil rights violations involving workplace discrimination and being barred from businesses and transportation or refused service made up almost 10% of all incident reports.
- 44% of incidents took place at private businesses.
- AAPI women were harassed 2.3 times more than AAPI men.
- 9% of respondents were AAPI seniors (over the age of 60).
- Reports came from 45 states across the nation and Washington DC.
- Even as shelter–in–place policies were implemented across much of the country and AAPIs interacted less with others, the rate of acts of racism remains alarming.