5/13/20 – After eight weeks, Stop AAPI Hate has received 1,843 reports of anti–Asian discrimination due to COVID–19. Aggregated from 45 states, as well as Washington DC, these self–reported incidents continue to demonstrate the widespread racism that Asian Americans continue to experience.
- Verbal harassment (69.3%) and shunning (22.4%) make up the highest proportion of cases.
- Civil rights violations, such as workplace discrimination (4.8%); being barred from establishments (2.9%) and being barred from transportation (1.1%) make up 8.8% of the incidents.
- Physical assaults make up 8.1% of the incidents.
- Incidents at businesses (42.1%) exceed those in public places (38.9%).
- Women are harassed 2.4 times more than men.
- Elderly make up 7.8% of the respondents.