Week 1 Report
3/25/20 – This report reviews 673 reports of coronavirus discrimination submitted to Stop AAPI Hate’s website from March 19–25, 2020. Even without much publicity, we have already received a strong response from the community, who want their voices to be heard.
Emerging trends include:
- Almost 100 reports daily, with 5.5% from limited–English speakers.
- Women are three times more likely to report harassment than men.
- Asian Americans of different ethnicities are racially profiled; 61% of the reports are from non–Chinese.
- Verbal harassment and name calling are the most commonly reported type of discrimination, making up over two-thirds of reports.
- With shelter–in–place policies, Asian Americans are more likely to face coronavirus discrimination in businesses, especially stores, rather than at schools and public transit as previously observed.